Schrijf je in voor onze dagelijkse nieuwsbrief om al het laatste nieuws direct per e-mail te ontvangen!

Inschrijven Ik ben al ingeschreven

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

Thailand's wood exports experienced significant growth last year

Thailand's wood exports experienced significant growth in the first four months of 2023, reaching 36.4 billion Thai baht, a 5.31% increase compared to the same period the previous year. Rubber wood, primarily exported to China, emerged as Thailand's leading wood export from its extensive 3.5 million hectares of rubber woodland.

The wood product exports are categorized into five segments: processed wood, fiberboard, plywood, furniture, and other wood products. Processed wood, fiberboard, and plywood constitute 73% of total exports, while furniture and other wood products make up the remaining 27%.

During a webinar hosted by Thailand International Woodworking & Furniture Exhibition 2024 (TIWF 2024), industry leaders discussed opportunities and challenges. Notably, there is optimism about Thailand's wood industry due to abundant raw materials and potential innovations, such as termite-proof and fire-resistant wood, and the application of nano-technology in wooden furniture.

Photo © Wissanu Sirapat |

However, the industry faces challenges in design, quality, and cost competitiveness due to slow adoption of technology and automation. Calls were made for government support to enhance skills through training initiatives and implement new technology solutions.

Thailand, ranking as the world's 34th largest importer of woodworking machines, imports machinery and technology worth US$70.9 million. The industry expects increased imports to improve the quality of wood products.

In response to the industry's needs, Thailand will host the TIWF 2024 from September 18th to 20th, providing an international platform for networking, discussions, and showcasing the latest machinery, technology, materials, and services. The event aims to address sustainability concerns and enhance the wood industry's efficiency.

Supported by local and international organizations, including Thailand's Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, TIWF 2024 anticipates over 150 exhibiting companies, with a focus on fostering business partnerships and addressing industry challenges. The event has received strong backing from industry associations and international entities, highlighting its significance as a regional platform for the wood industry.

Source: Furninfo

Publication date: